The Texas License to Carry a Handgun, or commonly known as the concealed handgun license and concealed carry permit, is the license required in Texas to conceal or open carry a handgun in public. This course is officially approved by Texas DPS and is needed to get your License to Carry. Traditionally, students would be required to sit through a license to carry class in a classroom for 4-6 hours, then proceed to the shooting qualification. Instead, you can now take the class online to fulfill the classroom requirement to obtain a Texas License to Carry. As long as you have an internet connection, this class can be taken from anywhere, not just within Texas.
The Course is up to date with the latest information available. New laws in Texas affecting license to carry holders went into affect Sept 1st, 2019. These law updates have been made available in the online class to provide you with the most accurate information available.
About this Online Course:
- Fulfills the classroom training requirement for a Texas LTC
- 4 hours long and can be taken at your own pace from anywhere.
- Broken into 15-20 min video segments.
- Start the class immediately after purchase, or later
- Start and stop the class as many times as needed
- 6 months is provided to complete it
- Entirely audio/video based
- Closed Captioning available for all audio
- Easy multiple choice test at the end (as required by TX DPS)
- LTC-101 Certificate of completion immediately available to download
The class is taught by an instructor with current law enforcement experience in a large municipality. This unique perspective gives additional insight when it comes to concealed carry. The information provided is relevant, accurate and applies to the real world.
Who can take the class?
Anyone can take the online class. The material covered applies to anyone interested in firearms and goes over firearm safety, Texas law, federal law, de-escalation techniques, methods of carry and more. This course will not issue the actual license or permits. An application must be completed with Texas DPS for the license to carry. Texas DPS will issue the LTC to you.
Certificate of Completion
The certificate issued at the successful completion of this course is valid for 2 years. After the online class, the certificate can be taken to Josh at Red Lion Tactics or any other Texas License to Carry instructor for the proficiency demonstration. The proficiency demonstration consists of the shooting qualification and 1-2 hours of “range instruction”. What is included and how long the range instruction portion goes for is up to each individual LTC instructor.
Topics covered for the online Texas License to Carry class include:
– Laws that relate to weapons and to the use of deadly force
Handgun Use and Safety
– Including use of holders and methods to ensure the secure carrying of handguns
Non-Violent Dispute Resolution
– De-escalation techniques including communication skills and situational awareness
Safe Storage Practices
– handgun storage options and law relating to storage
All of the material provided relates back to carrying a pistol in public in order to be as safe as possible. Whether you intend to carry a gun or not, this course is great for anyone interested in learning more about the above topics.